The Newcomer of the Year Award recognizes a member who:
- advocates for public education in Kansas through work in the nominee's school district and/or the State of Kansas;
- is committed to a creative, dedicated and professional approach to school communications;
- is active in the Kansas School Public Relations Association as a member who demonstrates excellent personal communications skills, a commitment to being involved in KanSPRA activities, and the desire to accept chapter leadership responsibilities.
To be eligible, members must be employed full-time in the field of public school education, communications and/or public relations for no more than 24 months at the time of the nomination deadline. The award recipient receives a scholarship to attend the NSPRA national seminar, which includes paid registration and $500 in reimbursable conference expenses. The award is presented at the annual state conference.
Newcomer of the Year Award winners:
- 2019 - Rachel Thomas, Lawrence
- 2018 - Erin Schulte, Goddard
- 2017 - Misty Kruger, Topeka
- 2016 - Candace Leduc, Seaman
- 2015 - Dane Baxa, Goddard
- 2014 - Nicole Gibbs, Andover
- 2013 - Lori Buselt, Maize
- 2009 - Christine Splichal, Spring Hill
- 2008 - Michelle Herpich, Service Center at Clearwater
- 2007 - Kristin Magette, Eudora